Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Celebrating Dance

 

There is a great sketch over at Freshly Made Sketches again this week.  It’s a long sketch so I raided my “random envelope box” (Yes I really do own such a thing!) and made a card to fit one of the long, skinny envelopes I had.

 

Usually when I see a sketch it takes me quite a while to think of what I might do with it, what sets to use etc.  But I had a very different experience with this sketch.

As soon as I saw it I knew immediately what it was!

It was a stage with one dancer in the spotlight!  Obviously!

The night before I saw this sketch, I had read an email from Rita and in closing she said “ I am off to watch Dance Moms. It is worse than Toddlers and Tiaras!”  I have watched Toddlers and Tiaras before and I thought “could that even be possible?”  So I watched it that night too, just to see.

Well obviously it left a lasting impression on my psyche or something because as soon as I saw this sketch I pictured a stage where there were lots of dancers but just one was in the spotlight.  That’s what the show was about basically.  All the Mum’s were whinging about a certain one being the favoured one, the star who shone and who always had the spotlight on her.  Then there was another part where there was a Mum’s dance and one Mum changed her part of the routine during the concert so that she would be the one “in the spotlight”.

So Thanks Rita (I think?)  It was an experience and at least I got a card idea out of it!  I don’t think I’ll watch again though – too traumatic!

 

IMG_3455

 

 

Ingredients :

Stamps : Perfectly penned, Under the big top

Card : pale plum, concord crush, blushing bride, x-press it blending card

Ink : memento black, perfect plum

Other : subtle dsp stack, copics, big shot, tasteful trim, circle punch, dazzling diamonds

 

I just have to say this is one card that just hasn’t photographed well.  It looks much better in real life.  I have purposely made the “stage” dark and the other dancers can be seen but all the focus is just on The One !

I have put dazzling diamonds on the underside of her tutu (between the folds) and on her crown too. She looks very pretty and it will make a great card for one of my daughter’s friends.

It was so obvious to me that this was a sketch of a stage that I was actually surprised that none of the design team had done one.  They have made some really gorgeous cards that amazingly have nothing to do with dancing at all! Ha Ha! Please take a look at FMS and I will be checking the other entries to find out if anyone else saw a stage or if it really was all because of that show!

 

Kathy

9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Kathy, I love what you created here! That image is sure sweet and not one I would have pictured as a "little girl" card image but it works so well. Absolutely lovely! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL You are too funny, Kathy! It is a bit traumatic, huh? I sure hope Laila doesn't want to do dance because I'm not sure I could do a dance mom justice! Such a cute idea for a card and I love it extra because it is PURPLE and NOT pink! :) I bet the girls loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toddlers and Tiaras is definitely one scary show! This however is one adorable performance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Kathy, I love Dance Mom. After doing calithenics for over 15 years I cannot believe what these mums to. Absolutelyl gobsmacking. You have made a beautiful card, such a great idea with this long sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After that intro I was afraid to see the card! However, that card is so sweet!! Glad something wonderful came out of something so awful! Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how funny ... love your post Kathy, and your card is a true reflection of what you have described ... a takeoff of the spotlighting technique ... I love this card, your colouring is super sweet and the mixture of purples are stunning!
    Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just too cute! what an adorable stamp!!! Beautifully created.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so adorable! Great coloring too! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love your take on this sketch! And I love that cute little ballerina :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!